Banner Ad 1

Engel Type IX dive planes set up

R/C Submarine modelers

Engel Type IX dive planes set up

Postby P Webster » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:55 am

I am finally at the stage of looking at the servo set up for the fore and aft dive planes. Is it better for them to be on the same channel or have separate channels for each of their own servos.
I don't intend to do any dramatic surfacing , such as the Los Angeles Class in "Hunt for Red October", but I just want to know the most efficient hook up for diving and surfacing.
Thanks in advance
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Re: Engel Type IX dive planes set up

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:32 am

Separate, every time.

A lot of modellers set the planes up so that a leveller/pitch controller operates the rear planes automatically, with no manual control, and the modeller operates the front planes manually or with the assistance of a depth controller. The latter is very much optional, and not everyone likes using them.

With this type of set-up the model will dive and surface in a very controlled and civilised fashion, and you'll find it very easy to maintain periscope depth.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby P Webster » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:29 am

Sub Culture
What do you mean by setting the pitch controller up to operate the rear planes automatically?
I assume that you don't hook it into the same channel as the fore plane so can you tell me where to connect it to.
The radio is a 6 channel Hitec Sport and I am using channel 1 for rudders, channel 3 for front dive planes, channel 2 for the 2 piston tanks
and channel 4 for the throttle.
The only practical point left would be channel 5 with is normally used for retract landing gear on model aircraft.
thank you in anticipation
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 am

You can connect the pitch controller to any unused channel, which a lot of us do. Alternatively, you can use a servo Y cable on one of your already used channels and cut the signal lead to the pitch controller as it really only needs plus/minus for power.

What Andy means by "automatic" is that it is normally not necessary to manually control the rear dive planes when they are connected to a pitch controller. The pitch controller does all the work for you to keep the boat level.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby P Webster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:20 am

Jeff,
Thanks for your explanation, it was as I thought but needed that confirmation from an experienced submariner.
I am starting to get excited the more I do to the boat, now I am at the stage of fitting the piston tanks in and the battery and pressure switch.
I then have to commence work on the deck and conning tower, God help me.
Once again you guys have proved the worth of a subscription to this group'
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler