Banner Ad 1

Radios Futaba RF modules

R/C Submarine modelers

Radios Futaba RF modules

Postby subsurface53 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi, I have been given a Futaba PCM FP-T8SGA-P green label and it does not have the rf module in it. What RF modules can I put in it and can it be used for subs? I also have a hitec P7-AIRF PCM/PPM Prism 7 with SPECTRA synthesized RF module Model#HP-PLL [PCM/PPM]. What reciever do I need for it? Any help would be great.

Thanks Dave
subsurface53
SubCommittee Member

Re: Radios Futaba RF modules

Postby Sub culture » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:56 pm

I'm afraid I'm not terribly familiar with either of those sets- think they may have been models specific to the U.S market.

However the spectra module sounds the best bet to persevere with, as it offers a synthesized frequency system- well worth having. Most modern receivers should work fine with the Hitec. Some of the older Hitec systems have compatibility issues with some other makes of R/C equipment owing to different shift patterns on the PPM pulse, however this was largely cleared up with later transmitters. Modern receivers can work with positive or negative shift patterns, so it's unimportant.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby KevinMc » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Dave,

To add a little more clarity to Andy's post, the 8SGA is an older set which uses a large size module - they've been out of production so long that I think you'll be hard pressed to find a new module for it anywhere. (I have a 72MHz FM module that's just gathering dust - you're welcome to it for the cost of shipping, but you'd have to get it converted to 75MHz to use it legitimately for surface applications.) The part number is FP-TF-FM.

The Prism is a much newer set and uses 2nd generation (more commonly available) modules. SPECTRAs come in both 72MHz and 75MHz models so you need to check which one you have. (The module should have a sticker on it that indicates what frequency band it runs on.) 75MHz SPECTRAs are getting hard to find, but are not all gone yet so you'll probably have better luck getting this radio in order for sub use.

Both these sets use "negative shift" to generate the signal they send, although as Andy indicated most modern (generic) receivers are compatible with both.
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby subsurface53 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 am

I came across a Hitec HP-MIC surface module. Would that work on my Hitec Prism P7-AIRF Radio?

Thanks Dave
subsurface53
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler