Banner Ad 1

no more Sombra Labs Receivers

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: no more Sombra Labs Receivers

Postby Giovanni » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:02 am

Jeti reply to my question:
Hello,
When using the PPM output plug for a flight simulator cable, does the 2.4GHz transmitter become disabled? I would like radio to receive telemetry sensor data to the radio when using my flight simulator.

Dear Sir,

Using PPM for flight simulator , transmitting 2.4 GHz is ON, so you will see the telemetry.

Best Regards

JETI model s.r.o.
Lomená 1530
742 58 Příbor
Czech Republic
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby dfklink » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I am relatively new to the RC sub world. I have been working on my USS Hawaii for the past year or so, and I was lucky to be able to find a 75mhz Hitec 6 channel last year on ebay when I was doing my build. But I have been wondering about the 433 mhz band. I know 2.4ghz wont work for submersion, but what about 433mhz? I have tried google for information but haven't found a definite "will work" or "wont work" answer. Intuitively, it would seem that you would not have quite the same ranger or be able to go as deep, but it has never been my plan to go very deep. Our boat club - Indy Admirals, sails at the Carmel reflecting pool where the subregatta is held so max dive would be maybe 2 ft.

Really, I should just stop wondering try it. I recently got the 433 mhz transmitting module and two receivers from Hobby King. One I used to fly my hexacopter yesterday, but I still have an extra. My transmitter is the Turnigy 9x with the er9x firmware. I just haven't had the time to put it in my WTC and try it in the bath tub. There are obviously a lot of smart people on the discussion, and I am wondering what your thoughts/speculations/experiences are with using 433mhz.

Dan
dfklink
SubCommittee Member

Postby roedj » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:08 pm

dfklink wrote:I am relatively new to the RC sub world. I have been working on my USS Hawaii for the past year or so, and I was lucky to be able to find a 75mhz Hitec 6 channel last year on ebay when I was doing my build. But I have been wondering about the 433 mhz band. I know 2.4ghz wont work for submersion, but what about 433mhz? I have tried google for information but haven't found a definite "will work" or "wont work" answer. Intuitively, it would seem that you would not have quite the same ranger or be able to go as deep, but it has never been my plan to go very deep. Our boat club - Indy Admirals, sails at the Carmel reflecting pool where the subregatta is held so max dive would be maybe 2 ft.

Really, I should just stop wondering try it. I recently got the 433 mhz transmitting module and two receivers from Hobby King. One I used to fly my hexacopter yesterday, but I still have an extra. My transmitter is the Turnigy 9x with the er9x firmware. I just haven't had the time to put it in my WTC and try it in the bath tub. There are obviously a lot of smart people on the discussion, and I am wondering what your thoughts/speculations/experiences are with using 433mhz.

I take it from your reference to the Indy Admirals that you're in the US. If that's so, you cannot use 433MHz for radio control in the US. In Europe it's legal but not in the US. There's quite a lot of Amateur radio activity on 432 to 435 MHz and sooner or later they would probably sense your signal, use RDF gear to hunt you down and report you to the FCC in which case your life will become very uncomfortable.

Aside from all that, I wouldn't expect a radio signal at 433MHz to penetrate water very well if at all.

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby dfklink » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:44 am

I think the 433 mhz transmission (in the 70 cm amateur band) is covered under FCC 97.215 with my technicians license, although I am not an expert on FCC regs. It is a low power (100mW) transmission and should not bother other HAM operators since it is frequency hopping. Once I get a chance to test the water penetration I will report back here.

Dan
dfklink
SubCommittee Member

Postby roedj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:47 am

dfklink wrote:I think the 433 mhz transmission (in the 70 cm amateur band) is covered under FCC 97.215 with my technicians license, although I am not an expert on FCC regs. It is a low power (100mW) transmission and should not bother other HAM operators since it is frequency hopping. Once I get a chance to test the water penetration I will report back here.

Dan

PM sent

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler