Banner Ad 1

Beginner's question

R/C Submarine modelers

Beginner's question

Postby rafaelgonzalez65 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Hola, I'm Rafael (Rafa for short and for friends, please) from Venezuela.

I'm a modelbuilder since the age of 10, and am approaching the silvery 50s.

A few years ago, I started scratchbuilding my own subjects, and I like to use whatever scrap of junk i can find, being the cheapo guy I am.

Recently I started to have an interest in submarines, and wanted to build my all-time favorite, the german Typ-212

My story with the 212 is one of love-at-first-sight. Never found plans of it save from some scraps of cross section examples that I used as a reference to guesstimate the shape of my hull and conning tower, so expect some inaccuracies, all my fault. I'm no engineer, architect or draftsman. I went the static model way because of my background, and the fact that, living near the coast, I have no safe-to-use ponds nearby to try my hand at R/C my sub. Besides, I lost my truck for longer drives to suitable places to the ex-missus (but I got the airbags).

I started placing my 3-views and guesstimated cross-sections (upper and lower hull, for my convenience) and cut them on cardboard. Must be an artistic vein surfacing in my middle-to-mature-years, but I like to build with whatever I have at hand. Filled the voids with packing EPS and sanded away, to reveal the long-awaited hull-form emerge from the misshapen bulk (kind of an "It's Alive!!!" moment).

What you see then is the recently mud-covering test over the naked hull. Next will be conning tower, tail and props, and my chickenscratchin', er, scribing. It's 46 cm long, some 1:120ish scale. I've settled for 1:200 on my future ones.

This one will be a littoral raider, since I plan to pose it with a tower-mounted Rheinmetall-Mauser RMK-30 recoilless 30 mm gun for surface warfare as the one in the Muraena project of which I post images also

I want to ask some questions to the experts, and please, note I live in a third world country where almost all of the fabulous products you use are nonexistent, except for some coconut shells and polyester resin.
1.- I want to provide my sub with a hard-shell. Not having more than chopped mat, I've wondered if using some fabrics or even paper is suitable for covering my model with resin
2.- I love this model, but, How can I index the X-tail with the hull?

Some other questions will come to mind. I hope I can find answers from you, gents.

Saludos,
Rafa
rafaelgonzalez65

Re: Beginner's question

Postby farmboy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:33 pm

ill be honest Ive got no experience with subs yet just starting my first at the moment. but what you have at the moment looks like a good starting point for building a descent mold for your fiber glassing once you have the sail or fin or what ever the top bits called... so do have much experience with chop and molds?
farmboy

Return to R/C Modeler