Banner Ad 1

Help with a Polk Transmitter

R/C Submarine modelers

Help with a Polk Transmitter

Postby salmon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:30 am

I bought a Polk's Tracker III and I need a suggestion on how to program it (if it can be done).
I am building a 1/96th scale Aluminaut
and it will use two thrusters to navigate (one port and another starboard). Is there a way to make my left stick control the two motors so that moving the stick forward increases speed for both motors and pulling back can make both go the same speed back, then if the stick is moved left the port motor would reverse and the starboard would increase then reversed for going to starboard? If so how? There is probably a name for this configuration.
Thank you.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Re: Help with a Polk Transmitter

Postby Sub culture » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 am

Come on Tom. Two second search on google- http://www.polkshobby.com/pdf/2005_11_29_Tracker3.pdf

Took me longer to write this reply! :lol:

Oh and look at the 'pmix' section. That will allow you to do what you want.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 am

Sub culture, thank you.....Posting was not clear, I have the manual, but it was the programming that I do not understand. So, have not played with mixes before, the Pmix is what I need to focus on. That helps.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm not familiar with that set- was never available here in the UK.

I know there are others on here with that set, or who have used them, but the cat seems to have got their tongues, so I've had a gander at the manual. The mixing looks to be comprehensive and flexible. You have a 'Master and 'Slave' arrangement like on most mixers (all sounds a bit kinky really). So for mixing throttles you want the channel normally used as a rudder set up as master, and set the rate to 100%. Then you have the channel normally used for throttle, that should be set as slave, and try setting the rate to 50%. Now with one ESC plugged into either channel, with sticks at neutral I think the motors should be off, as you bring the throttle up, both motors should come on at equal rate, move the rudder stick to one side or the other, and the throttle should bias to one side or the other.

Now that's my best guess, and it might be totally wrong- without a set in front of me it's difficult, but you can't do any harm playing about with this sort of thing, and it only takes seconds to set it up.

Really flexible throttle mixing can be done with an onboard mixer custom designed for the job, but you haven't really room for that kind of thing in that micro sub unless you can program your own onto a SMD microcontroller.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:25 pm

Sub culture,
You ROCK. Thanks for the help.
You understand this better than I, tonight will play and see.
Thank you very much sir!
Peace,
Tom
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:45 pm

It works now!
I need to thank two people, Greg W and subculture! You both ROCK.
subculture sent me in the right direction, Greg W for showing me my errors. I was entering too much info for master to slave AND slave to master.
Next step stringing an antenna. Anyone have any suggestions for stringing, what 40", into a 7" space? I am thinking a geometric pattern on a thin sheet of styrene that will curve inside the hull. Thoughts?
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 am

Good, glad you got it sorted.

Some receivers you can shorten the aerial without throwing the tuning out of whack. Check the instructions, and if possible consult the manufacturer.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 am

Tom,
Your styrene sheet idea might work. You could also wrap the wire around a narrow strip of styrene, maybe 1 inch wide or so. I've done this with a 6 inch length of foam with good results. Just about any non-conductive, non-metallic material should do for a core. However you do it, be sure to keep the wrap moving along as you wind the wire. You do not want any of the loops to overlap one another.
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Thank you! I will let you know how it goes.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler