Banner Ad 1

JWLaRue and RC Type II

R/C Submarine modelers

JWLaRue and RC Type II

Postby Warpatroller » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:05 am

Jeff,

I recall you were designing a deck for a 1/32 or 1/35 Type II project at one time. And something about maybe producing a Type II kit in one of those two scales.. Did any of that ever happen?

I think there is a Sheerline kit in 1/25 scale (or something close to it)? That Bronco company should release a 1/35 Type II, to follow up the XXIII, like Special Navy did.. I'd really like to have both of those boats, in the same scale. The pair, together.

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Re: JWLaRue and RC Type II

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi Steve,

I do have a PE deck for the 1/32nd Type II that was intended to be used for an eventual kit. To date, I haven't been very successful in getting someone to partner with me to produce the hull...so right now the deck is kind of a one-off. This same source CAD that was used to produce the deck was also leveraged by Dougie Martindale for his aftermarket kit for the Special Navy Type II kit.

Here's my Type II during one of its trial runs:

A Bronco 1/35th Type II could be very interesting. Hopefully it'll be a bit more accurate than the Seehund. :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:22 am

I thought the Seehund was pretty good to be honest. A few minor areas of inaccuracies, and they could only be spotted by someone very knowledgable on the craft, but I think it's the best kit rendition I've seen to date.

Not an easy boat to get right, as surviving examples have usually been patched up or modified in some way, and the pictures of the originals during WWII are often a bit smudgy.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:51 pm

Sub culture wrote:I thought the Seehund was pretty good to be honest. A few minor areas of inaccuracies, and they could only be spotted by someone very knowledgable on the craft, but I think it's the best kit rendition I've seen to date.
Actually, I agree with that statement. Having full-sized copies of construction drawings does tend to make one more.....ummm.....picky? :)

While I probably won't build an r/c version of it, I will be picking up one of these kits. I like the idea of having a complete fleet of boats in this scale.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:43 pm

Which drawings do you have? I have the Russian ones, which are very good, the ones featured in Paul Kemps book, which have a few issues, and I have a few photocopies of drawings featured in Klaus Mates book 'Die Seehunde'.

I've been reworking one of Rick Palumbo's 1/22 scale hulls. He sold off one of his first generation hulls at well below normal cost, and I used that as a base to work with. I've completly remodelled the stern section, and done a lot of work on the conning tower superstructure. I've cross referenced photos of originals, and used the Russian plans and some data from Die Seehunde.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 pm

JWLaRue wrote:Hi Steve,

To date, I haven't been very successful in getting someone to partner with me to produce the hull...so right now the deck is kind of a one-off.

-Jeff

I will keep that in mind. When I have some extra money to "play" with over the next year or so, I could be a possible contributor to get things moving on hull production, as I would like to have one of them..

Will have to see how my current work ventures go.. Though, if Bronco releases one, that might reduce interest in a fiberglass II. Knowing you, your boat should be more accurate than Broncos, if they do one. I have already noticed more than few a inaccuracies with their upcoming XXIII..

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler