Banner Ad 1

Using BEC in an Engel Sub

R/C Submarine modelers

Using BEC in an Engel Sub

Postby P Webster » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 am

I am in the stage of fitting out my U-177 Engel sub and was wondering if there is a problem using the BEC function on my Mtronics speed controllers.
I can disconnect the function, but then I will have to use a separate receiver battery and space is at a premium as everyone knows.
Thanks in advance
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Re: Using BEC in an Engel Sub

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:13 am

If you have more than one controller (I notice you used the plural) you should only use one of the BEC's otherwise the voltage regulators used in the BEC's will 'fight' one another.

Depending on your set-up, e.g. amount of servos and other equipment hooked off the receivers 5 volt buss, the BEC may or may not be able to supply sufficient current. Generally most BEC's supplied with Mtroniks ESC's are specced at between 1-1.5A. So that gives you about 5-7.5 watts.

An average sized servo tends to draw about 1-2 watts under normal load conditions, but they can easily draw upto 4-5 watts under heavy load or when stalled. Many digital or high speed or high torque servos can draw considerably more. Therefore if you have more than a couple of servos hooked up to an onboard BEC, either the servos need to be lightly loaded, or you may need to fit an external BEC capable of supplying more current.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby P Webster » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 am

Thanks for your quick reply.
The setup I want to use is 2 Mtroniks ESC's driving the 2 motors independantly, there are 3 servos (rudder,forward and aft dive planes) these are standard Hitec 311 servos.
I guess the best solution is to disconnect the BEC functions on both ESC's as it is recommended to use a receiver pack of about 3000 Mah and 6volt so they must have their reasons.
I don't want to take shortcuts on this model.
Once again thanks for the quick answer
Peter Webster
P Webster
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:42 am

Peter,

There are a lot of us using the Mtroniks ESCs for our subs and the built-in BEC easily handles 3 or 4 servos......

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler