Banner Ad 1

WET CONNECTIONS

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: WET CONNECTIONS

Postby celinaaniston86 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:14 am

I have used Dulux Aquagalv. It is water-borne inorganic zinc oxide silicate coating that conforms with AS/NZS 2312 for extensive run corrosion protection & thus measures up very positively with other types of galvanic deterioration protection.

Submersible Well Pumps
Last edited by celinaaniston86 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
celinaaniston86

Postby wlwilson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:39 pm

For years I've used "liquid tape" to seal electrical connections in water from two different manufacturers with equal success. It's available at a variety of sources from Wal*Mart to auto parts, Lowe's and Home Depot stores for about $5 for a 4 oz bottle or can.

One brand is "Star brite" and by Performix is another.

Star brite offers different colors. I've seen black and red.

It can be thinned with paint thinner or xylene. I'm sure that other solvents will work also.

I've found some that were old-thick off of the store shelf but can be thinned out some with appropriate thinner but if it has dried out too much; forget it.

It's packaged to hang off of a peg or hook.

It can be applied in layers or coats and can be removed with a cotton applicator wet with a solvent.

I've been told that the US Navy uses it in the submarine force to seal and repair cables that are in the open ocean.

Warren
wlwilson
SubCommittee Member

Postby Feet Wet » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:23 am

Kerry,
I seal my bulkhead connections with silicon. That said, the power leads are pigtails that terminate with spade connectors. These are covered by waterproof fuse holder covers made by Ancor. These can be filled with di-electric grease. Available at most large marine supply stores( West marine etc.)
Liquid tape, as noted in previos posts, work great too, easy to apply, easy to remove. Takes a while to build up, but that's what winter is for.
Jonathan
Feet Wet
SubCommittee Member

Postby Kerry Addington » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for all of these educational responses-
What a website and members are all about!
Kerry Addington

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler