Banner Ad 1

Evercoat Fillers, which to use?

R/C Submarine modelers

Evercoat Fillers, which to use?

Postby Warpatroller » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 am

I've been away from this forum for quite a long time.. Have a question about Evercoat fillers. I have never used them before. I recall, Steve Neill and David Merriman use this stuff on their sub models. Aren't the Evercoat products intended for use on automotive metal body panels? I know the above mentioned guys use them on fiberglass hulls.

Which of the Evercoat products would be best for fillets and general filling of gaps when bonding urethane resin parts to an ABS vacuum-formed plastic hull? Also for fillets between metal and ABS plastic? In specific, for use filling gaps between the urethane resin lower tail and the ABS hull on the 32P XXIII model. And for same use to blend the metal, ballast weights to the bottom of the ABS hull by creating a fillet around the perimeter of the rectangular weights.

Evercoat "Easy Sand" or "Metal Glaze"? Or one of their other products? I am considering the "Easy Sand" 24oz bottle in particular, but would like to hear some opinions.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Re: Evercoat Fillers, which to use?

Postby bharris » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:46 am

for the materials and tasks you have listed especially ABS plastic you might want give Evercoat Poly-Flex a try, it is for repair of flexible auto body parts and bumpers.
I have been trying it on various RC submarine and boat projects for over a year and am impressed with it. Wish I had it when I built my ABS Albacore some years ago.
Bob.
Bob Harris SCM# 1974
" No matter where you go there you are"
bharris
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Bob,
The polyester product doesn't get too hot that it will melt the ABS, does it?
That's the only thing I would be cautious of. Most of those fillers are intended for use on and with fiberglass, GRP.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby bharris » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:49 pm

I haven't seen it get that warm pete. No where near as warm as a hull painted black sitting in the hot summer sun.
I found it worked best for me if I go light on the catalyst and stir it longer than than you would think you should, that gives you a more reasonable working time and results in a surface without a greasy bloom on it when it sets up.
You have to experiment with it, like all polyester resin auto or marine fillers it will kick over very fast and get pretty warm if you get carried away with the catalyst.
Bob.
Bob Harris SCM# 1974
bharris
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 am

bharris, thanks for the input. I looked up the Poly-Flex. Seems like the principal difference between that and Metal Glaze, is the Poly-Flex is suitable for flexible plastics, where Metal Glaze and Easy Sand state use with only rigid and semi-rigid plastics. The 32P ABS hull is kind of somewhere in between semi-rigid and flexible with the bottom of the hull being more rigid than the cut out upper portion.

What do you use to actually "bond" resin to ABS? I think JB MarineWeld or the standard JB Weld should work, but am curious as to what you have used?
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 am

If you're bonding ABS to ABS, you can use a solvent weld like EMA's Plastiweld. or Deluxe Materials Plastic Magic.

If you're bonding other types of material like PU resin, then the best glues to use are modified acrylic type glues like Deluxe Materials Fusion, Stabilit Expressa and Devcon Plastic Welder will provide a better bond than epoxy IMO, stronger than the base material. They also sand well and accept fillers.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby bharris » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:57 pm

For bonding different materials to ABS have to agree with Andy on the Devcon plastic welder but am not familiiar with Stabilit or Expressa.
I have had good results with PC-Superpoxy (it is for plastic to various materials), Plasti-Zap medium CA with a fillet of course and Marine GOOP is excellent, don't use it where it would have to sand and don't use it where you might have to remove the part, great impact and vibration resistance.
Bob.
Bob Harris SCM# 1974
bharris
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Sorry, that should have read Stabilit Express which is supplied by Pattex. Robbe recommend it for use with their ABS kits.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:16 pm

I use an absolutely fantastic product for bonding fiberglass to fiberglass, but it's made for bonding all materials to fiberglass, like metal and wood, and other composites.

It's from Fibre Glast. It's called High Strength Epoxy Adhesive 1101. Only thing is that it's two part, but very easy to match up one-to-one by weight or volume. Good working time. Not cheap though. But as they say, you get what you pay for.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Epoxy ... oxy_Resins

Pete
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler