Banner Ad 1

Fuel pump based ballast system

R/C Submarine modelers

Fuel pump based ballast system

Postby redboat219 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 pm

In the December 2001 issue of the SubCommittee Report Carter Kaplan wrote an article about converting the Revell 1/200 George Washington into an RC submarine. In the said article the ballast system he made used a small plastic bottle with a drinking straw venting into the sail and a Sonic Tronic fuel pump to pump water in and out the bottle. He used the pump with no modifications other than putting on a filter and making it water tight. When I went to the Sonic Tronic site I found out that the pump he used is of the centrifugal type. Well we all know centrifugal pumps are designed to work only in one direction. I was wondering how he was able to make the pump pull water out of the ballast tank. I've tried to getting in touch with Mr. Kaplan but to no avail. Hope somebody out there can shed some light on how he did it. Thanks in advance.
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Re: Fuel pump based ballast system

Postby Thor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:29 pm

You can catch Carter over at SubPirates. He hangs out there....
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:10 pm

You could either use two independent pumping systems....each driving the flow a different way.......or use a solenoid-based reversing manifold.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:25 pm

I believe the old pump he is referring to are gear pumps and are reversible. Great for small boats, but very limited in capability for anything large...
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler