Banner Ad 1

Does anyone use the WFLY FT06-A Radio?

R/C Submarine modelers

Does anyone use the WFLY FT06-A Radio?

Postby JohnPhilley » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:07 am

I could really use some help getting it set up.
I can't seem to get the radio to talk to the receiver. I've tried everything I can think of.
It's probably just some simple setting.

Thanks
JohnPhilley
SubCommittee Member

Re: Does anyone use the WFLY FT06-A Radio?

Postby Southern Or » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:19 pm

I haven't had any problems. Is the receiver powered? I use a 4.8v battery on mine so I can do channel checks and programing. Saves my ESC and motors from burning up.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby JohnPhilley » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:07 pm

Yeah, the receiver is powered. The red light comes on and after a while it starts flashing red.
JohnPhilley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Southern Or » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't use the Wfly receivers because well, I didn't get any. I'm using Futaba receivers and haven't had any problems. Check to see if the crystals are for the same channel, turn the radio first then the receiver, ect.
Southern Or
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:10 am

Does the flashing happen about 16 seconds after you power it on? If so, it means that it is in fail safe programming mode. Normally, in this mode you would then turn on your transmitter with the settings set the way you want (such as bow planes up). Then after a short time the receiver's red LED will remain on. So, what I am taking from your symptoms is, the transmitter's signal is not being received.
As posted before check the crystals.
Have you modified anything or change crystals on transmitter? Or on the receiver? Did you make sure the crystals are firmly seated?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby JohnPhilley » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 pm

Thanks Salmon.

Yep, about 16 seconds.
The crystals came with the WFLY. There were several of them actually. I did not touch the one that came installed in the radio, but the one that was installed in the receiver was not marked as 75 MHz so I found one marked 75.570 and put that one in. There are only two other receiver sized crystals (one of which I must have changed out) are marked as
1. WFLY FM-RX RX 35 Type 72.490
2. WFLY FM-RX DRX 84 Dual 75.870

Here's what I'm using...

The WFLY 6 channel 75 MHz FT06-A radio with the TX69 TYPE 75.570 crystal installed.
All the dip switches are set to NOR.

I'm using the WFLY FRP06-P receiver with the FM-RX DRX69 DUAL 75.570 crystal installed.

An Mtroniks Viper Sub10 ESC.

A simple 6 to 10 volt brushed motor.

And for the battery, just a 9 volt Duracell Alkaline battery.

Here's how I connected things for my test...

On the Mtroniks ESC...
The YELLOW (+ VE MOTOR) wire is connected to one terminal of the motor.
The BLUE (- VE MOTOR) wire is connected to the other terminal.
The RED (+ VE BATT) wire is connected to the positive terminal of the battery
The BROWN (- VE BATT) wire is connected to the negative terminal of the battery
The 3-wire connector (Yellow wire, Orange wire, and Brown wire) from the ESC is connected to Channel number 3 of the Receiver with the Yellow wire (inside) closest to the antenna wire and the Brown wire (in the - position) farthest from the antenna wire.

I follow the directions on the ESC for "Calibrating the ESC to your transmitter" which are...
1. turn on the radio
2. turn on the ESC
3. press the setup button while the green and red LEDs are flashing. The green LED light glows steady.
4. move the throttle control to full and back to neutral.

At this point the red LED is supposed to light up on the ESC but it never has.
I've tried this moving everything on the radio and the red LED never comes on after the green LED.

I know the motor connections work because if I don't press the setup button on the ESC, the motor starts up after the red and green LEDs stop flashing.

Thanks for your help Salmon.
JohnPhilley
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:15 am

I am wondering if you still have a crystal issue. I am sorry to harp on this, but you visually look at the transmitter crystal and the receiver? I ask this because I know that there was a batch that came in on the 72 MHz. Email kailagh@caswellplating.com Kailagh is a really helpful person and she should be able to get you going. Hope this helps!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby JohnPhilley » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks Salmon. Yes, I did look at the crystals. Both radio and receiver are marked 75.570.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll contact kailagh@caswellplating.com.
I can't wait to get this thing going and into the water!
JohnPhilley
SubCommittee Member

Postby JohnPhilley » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:32 pm

I have excellent news. A gentleman named Kevin came up with the solution after some excellent detective work. And you were right Salmon. I did have to do with the crystals.

In case anyone else has a similar problem, here's what we did to narrow it down.

With the "WFLY TX-69 Type 75.570" crystal installed in the radio and the "WFLY DRX 69 Dual 75.570" crystal installed in the receiver, the first test was to power the WFLY FRP06-P receiver externally without any gizmos connected to it. I powered it using three 1.5 volt AAA batteries taped together end to end (+ to -) for a total of 4.5 volts. I was lucky to have a wire-wrapping tool and some wrapping wire, otherwise I think it would have been very difficult to get a wire connected to the + and - terminals on the receiver. Then with the WFLY FT06-A radio turned on, I applied power to the receiver using the batteries and watched the red light on the receiver. It came on and stayed on. This is an indication that the receiver isn't receiving for some reason.

Kevin did some research and discovered that the "WFLY DRX 69 Dual 75.570" receiver crystal is a "dual-conversion" crystal and that the WFLY FT06-A only supports single-conversion, not double-conversion.

Then it occurred to me that I could test this using the only pair of crystals in the WFLY package not marked as "DRX/Dual", which were the 72 MHz. I repeated the test above and this time the red light on the receiver came on briefly and disappeared, indicating that the receiver was in fact receiving.

So now all I need to do is get a pair of single-conversion 75 MHz crystals and I'll be back in the game!

Thanks again for your help and support, Salmon!
JohnPhilley
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler