Banner Ad 1

1/35 Type XXI help

R/C Submarine modelers

1/35 Type XXI help

Postby Experten » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Hi guys,

I am a long time lurker, and non-member who just joined. I recently got a 1/35 Type XXI from eBay. It did not come with anything but the basic parts, no diving planes, or, most importantly, instructions. I have wanted an RC sub ever since I first say the 32nd Parallel Type VII 30 years ago. I am really hoping that I can be pointed in the right direction. I'd love to make this kit a runner. I have attached a picture of what I got, less the bag of small detail parts. Please let me know if you can provide a set of instructions, or a manufacturer!

Thanks,

Mark

Experten

Re: 1/35 Type XXI help

Postby sam reichart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:46 am

Is that ABS, fiberglass, what?
Are you experienced in fabrication of parts?
At 1/35, that's a huge model. Go find yourself a copy of "vom original zum model for the Type XXI", and hunt down a set of Fritz Kohl's plans for the XXI.
I only know of a couple of 32nd Parallel hulls for the XXI were ever produced, and Mike Dory built one of them out to a great finished model. (The 32nd P kit didn't come with much either, but the hull was one piece...)
You've taken on a heck of a challenge for your first model. But the XXI is an awesome boat. Best of luck with the build...
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Experten » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply. It is glass, and well laid up. The stern sleeves onto the mid section, and the fit is great. The bow section is just a butt joint. I'm not worried about the glass work. I did aircraft composites fro a while, and I was also a Machinist for the Army for 11 years. (44E-20) But, that said, I don't know my ass from a hot rock when it comes to RC subs! Can someone recommend a source for a WTC? I am really hoping that someone else owns one of these kits and can provide a set of directions, etc.

I have the Zum Modell book on the way. I also have the AOTS on the XXI. Wasn;t the 32nd a type XXIII?

Thanks!

Mark
Experten

Postby sam reichart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Experten wrote:Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply. It is glass, and well laid up. The stern sleeves onto the mid section, and the fit is great. The bow section is just a butt joint. I'm not worried about the glass work. I did aircraft composites fro a while, and I was also a Machinist for the Army for 11 years. (44E-20) But, that said, I don't know my ass from a hot rock when it comes to RC subs! Can someone recommend a source for a WTC? I am really hoping that someone else owns one of these kits and can provide a set of directions, etc.

I have the Zum Modell book on the way. I also have the AOTS on the XXI. Wasn;t the 32nd a type XXIII?Thanks!

Mark

Sheila and Simon created a few 1/32 scaleType XXI hulls that were simply hulls, with a conning tower and not much else. That's what Mike Dory built out....There's very few of them in existence.
The 32nd Parallel Type XXIII was an ABS kit that was very popular back in the day. Nowadays, buying a Type XXIII is choosing from OTW's 1/24 scale, or the new Bronco kit in 1/35 scale plastic.
I'm not sure who makes any kind of WTC big enough for this beast. Someone may have some information on what Mike Dory used in his model...
I know Skip Asay installed his own 3 tank system in Bud Lederer's huge Type XXI...I think it was one main tank and 2 trim tanks??
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby raalst » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:26 am

for large scale WTC's you can check out PVC drain pipes.

They come with a lot of special shapes, among which
endcaps. if you can find two screw-on endcaps with your
chosen size of drainpipe, you have yourself a WTC.

PVC is easy to drill and saw.

here's my makeshift watertight container for an old video recorder (you know : the ones with tapes !)
made from standard PVC parts.

Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:46 am

Sounds like your background will stand you in good stead for this project.

I would say you will need to build a lot of parts yourself for this beast, as it's large size means very few commercial systems will be adequate. Plus the cost for custom made items would quickly ratchet up hitting you hard in the pocket.

Do you presently own a reasonable sized lathe or have access to one?
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:22 pm

sam reichart wrote:Nowadays, buying a Type XXIII is choosing from OTW's 1/24 scale, or the new Bronco kit in 1/35 scale plastic.

The OTW XXIII is 1:25 scale. Bob corrected this mistake several years ago, on his website, after I pointed it out to him. If you look at the current OTW site, it does indeed say 1:25 for the model.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby tompinnell » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Hi, I have one of the 32nd P XXI hulls its massive dwarfs my OTW S class, you can buy the plans from the Fritz Kohl book off the German eBay site really good detail not an easy size to scale from. I'm currently drawing the deck in CAD but it is taking a while to get it right. Subculture is correct it is proving expensive been quoted £200 for the photo etch deck and flood vents and a couple of other things still really want to get it built just have to accept its going to cost me a fortune!
tompinnell
SubCommittee Member

Postby salt6 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 pm

The hull looks a lot like the ROBBE 1/40 Type XXI. Especially the rear lip that mates up the rear hull.
salt

My builds,
Type XXI
Type VII
salt6
SubCommittee Member

Postby schaffer hasse » Wed May 01, 2013 3:03 am

hello, the length of your model,
in order to help you
schaffer hasse

Return to R/C Modeler