Banner Ad 1

Sun N Fun 2008 Patrol Report

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Sun N Fun 2008 Patrol Report

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:25 am

BATFISH BLAST INDEED

While I'm going to save a more thorough write up for the Report, I'll give some brief info and mention several key individuals before getting to the images:

Don Baker put together an outstanding event. Don worked with Batfish to secure the venue and made many trips to create the pond we enjoyed. We had free run of the museum and boat on Friday night. Rick, the park manager, literally handed him the keys and said, "See you in the morning." Don has earned a SubRon Commendation Medal for all his hard work.

When Tom Kisler heard we would be spending the night on the boat, he swung into action and planned a night of Fast Cruise activities none of us will ever forget. It began with three rounds of "Sub Jeopardy" with trivia that ran the gamut from Civil War subs to NATO designations of Soviet boats.

Then we embarked on a comprehensive Sub Qual scavenger hunt during which we decrypted messages, solved for angle on the bow using an Is-Was, fired a torpedo tube, performed an emergency appendectomy, conducted damage control for leaks and a fire, and even had a man overboard drill. The only thing we didn't do was rig an illegal still. Tom, like Don, went way beyond the call of duty to ensure an unforgettable evening. He truly was Chief of the Boat.

Turnout was better than initially expected. While regulars Jeff Porteous, Don, Tom & Marsha Kisler, and myself were there, we enjoyed the company of a plankowner from Sun N Fun 2003 and two new modelers of incredible talent.

Scott Trosper made the original trek to Georgetown, Texas in 2003 for our inaugural run as a group. He has since started a scratchbuilt Verne-style Nautilus project and has both the Revell Gato and Type VII kits. He also plays a mean harmonica which he demonstrated with an impromptu "Whale of a Tale" during a 20,000 Leagues question of Sub Jeopardy on Friday night.

Stefan Ronnebeck, a former submariner in the German Navy, brought his lovely wife Donna and a submarine fleet which included a Patrick Henry, Typhoon, Gato, U-206, and Delta submersible. He ran several of his boats and all of them revealed an incredible attention to detail and excellent craftsmanship. His tales of standing watch on the bridge in the North Atlantic were riveting.

Below, Scott (l) admires a couple of Stefan's (r) boats.

Ron Eichost wowed us with his scratchbuilt 1/24 scale Type VII u-boat. This gorgeous boat amazed everyone and looked beautiful on the water next to Batfish. Ron is an accomplished modeler and we look forward to featuring more of his boat and other projects in the future.

Above, Ron demonstrates for the crowd. Below is his Type VII.

After two years of misadventures, it was great to get things back on track with an event of this caliber. The water was good, the runs were successful, new friends were made and everyone had a great time.

Last edited by PaulC on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Stefan's fleet:

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:59 pm

Ron's scratch built Type VII in 1/24 scale:

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Don's boats:

Stefan's Patrick Henry:

Tom's Scorpion:

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Marsha, Tom and Paul.

Paul's Thresher:

Jeff's Blueback:

Scott drives Jeff's Blueback from Batfish.

A boy and his pond.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:16 pm

FAST CRUISE

Paul, Don and Scott await the next round of Sub Jeopardy. Paul anticipates a Gold Team victory.

Paul and Don decrypt an incoming message during the Sub Qual scavenger hunt.

Jeff (in taped goggles to simulate smoke blindness) is guided by Don to aim his firehose (wooden dowel) and extinguish the flames (aluminum pans) during damage control in the engine room.

All hands align the diesels for startup in maneuvering.

Jeff swabbing the tube.

Paul and Don prepare to fire tube 3 manually.

Jeff recovers from his emergency appendectomy in the crew's mess. "X" marks the scar.

Tom, our Fast Cruise Director.

Last edited by PaulC on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:44 pm

BATFISH

After a little over three hours sleep, we cleared out our gear in anticipation of the opening of the park. Before the crowds arrived we toured the fairwater of the boat and the conning tower -- areas that are normally off limits to visitors.

Paul and Jeff finished the event running their model subs from the deck of the real sub.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Found one last image in Scott's set that really conveys the venue. Click for the enlarged image.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:57 pm

Man, I'm really sorry I missed it! Looks like a great time!

I really wish I could have sat thru Tom's sub qual scavenger hunt... :cry:

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:40 pm

re: Is-Was - did you guys use a real Is-Was or one that was created by the SubSim folks?

I've always wanted to get my hands on one of these things ever since reading about them in Capt. Beach's novel Run Silent, run Deep. :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:22 pm

Jeff,

It was one that Tom made out of cardstock. I'm not sure but he may have used the SubSim.com files. I've seen them on their site.

We used the top side which consisted of three discs we used to solve for angle on the bow. Tom said there was a slide rule type gadget on the back of the real item for further computations. He said they still use them for training.

It was really neat to use it and have a qualified dolphin wearer explain it as we went. That was one of my favorite activities personally. That and giving Jeff's Blue Team a Sub Jeopardy beatdown!!! :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:27 pm

Paul,

....I'm thinking that some of this could be part of a Saturday night SubRegatta gathering.....!?!

-Jeff

p.s. re: SubSim files - yes, I have those files for both sides, including the Govt' instruction manual. Once you read the manual, a lot of the technical language used in the sub movies when running down a target and firing torpedoes makes more sense.
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Hey Paul, thanks for the kind words.

You're right guys, I downloaded a pdf file from the subsim site as posted by a user there by the handle of Captain Krunch at this addy.

http://rapidshare.com/files/19118009/Su ... r.pdf.html

A little further into the thread a user named sqk7744 gives a very useful visual walkthrough in its use which I also borrowed for our "problem"

Not strictly required for a radioman to keep track of ship traffic around the boat so I never got to play with one of the real ones back in the day so it was very interesting for me to research it too.

Also it will come in handy for Silent hunter IV

The Historic Naval Ships Association (HNSA) has a website with actual navy manuals reproduced online. The pertinent one for the IsWas is here:

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/attackfinder/index.htm

Tom
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Tom,

How'd the rest of your trip go? Glad you made it back. Can't thank you enough for all the hard work.

Jeff,

We were thinking along those lines. I won't be able to attend unfortunately, but Tom and JeffP are coming.

We thought it would be great fun to have a panel of SC experts run the Sub Jeopardy gauntlet in front of a live audience. :D
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:42 am

Sorry this post is so belated, guys, but I knew Harry wouldn't let up with his infernal buzzing in my ear till I finally got it handled. See, he was so excited about our visit to Batfish and especially our joining him overnight in the crew's quarters that he absolutely lost his head over it all. Rick Dennis was kind enough to send me these snapshots of him after the fact. More like mug shots, I would say, rather than the quietly-reposed-in-his-bunk pix I was hoping for. Nevertheless, his participation was such a fun part of our overall event, I knew he deserved to be officially acknowledged here at the site. Truth be told, next time Harry decides to have an out-of-body experience, I wouldn't mind at all if he'd have it somewhere else.

Yours in the paranormal,
Jeff

Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to SubRon5