Banner Ad 1

New Venue in Houston

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

New Venue in Houston

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:12 am

Paul Crozier has uncovered a new find!
A good run location is not easy to find. So,yesterday, eagerly I slipped into the new Discovery Green park here in Houston to get toes-on-the-water pictures for us all. It officially opens today.
The water has just been filled, Right now the visibility is about 2 plus feet. Not as clear as the San Gabriel. However, the water level will be predicatable so a regatta would not be a problem.
I visited with the program director, Suzanne, for the park, who was kind enough to give me a few moments, as she ws quite busy getting ready to open. She thinks the water will clear up more,as it was just filled. Another week or so and we will see. I did see in a few places in the deeper water where there was the slightest disturbance from recirculating pumps.
Lets hope!!
I like the attitude too. They were very interested to have us there.
Water in the "radio controlled boat" section is maybe 3 feet deep. The bottom is just out of visibility.
Local regatta? Absolutely! National? if it would clear up just slightly more, it may be the best spot I have seen to date!
I know I will be running there...

Here are a few pictures.
This is the "radio control boat section". I have seen the bottom empty. It is concrete lined throughout the pond. The boat section is uniformly flat, and approximately 3 feet deep. The building to the right has a cafe with reasonably priced hot dogs, hamburgers, drinks and beer. You could run your boat from inside the cafe!! The stage affair on the end has four 110 volts plug points, with 4 recepticals each.
To the left is a pier with a railing. On the opposite side of the area, just under the water is a metal barrier just under the water, with a small, 4 foot roughly, pass through for operational runs into the deeper 8 foot water. I believe the barrier is placed there to keep the shallower section to stay clam for the boats in windy conditions.

Step on either end of the boat section. Launching would be extremely easy.
Step visible is about knee deep in the water to show the clarity. Hopefully this will improve after the pond settles.
The barrier underwater stops about 4 feet in front of this pier. On the far side the water goes to 8 feet. Minute Maid basball park is in the distant background.
This is from standing in the same spot as the last picture, only turning to look into the 8 foot deep section. A second pier is visible here.
Rail setup to keep us from falling in! :D Rita is patiently posing.
Surrounding shots:
Targets are already there, unaware they are being studied for future operations.
The first thing that popped into my mind.
Merrimen's wheels :D
In the park, maybe 100 yards. A second, nicer resterant/bar.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:44 am

Looks great Wayne! How close is the parking/unloading area?

Would there be a place to set up tents?
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:11 pm

The is a Hilton hotel in walking distance.
We may or may not need tents a all. The park was erecting covered areas on a nearby walkway (about 200 feet), but there is definately room for tents.
Parking is nearby. About a 5 minute walk.
Being in downtown Houston, there will be all the facilitys one can name.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun May 04, 2008 10:22 am

May 4th quick stop.
I had an event to go to yesterday that took me acroos the street from the park, so I took a quick look at the water.
In the "model boat pond area", The water just shows things on the bottom, (saw a bag laying on the bottom). A submarine should be in that "hazy visible" mode on the bottom.
Also noted if you look in the above pictures, there is a long slope in front of the stage area. Streetside, there is an enterance to underground parking under that hill!! They do charge for parking.
A boat will have to be tried.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5