Banner Ad 1

Sun N Fun 2007 patrol report

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Sun N Fun 2007 patrol report

Postby PaulC » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:53 am

After some intense last minute preparations, SubRon5 logged its fifth successful yearly event this past weekend. We met in Georgetown as planned, but drove to the campus of Texas A&M University in College Station on Saturday morning to run. Due to last minute spillway releases on Lake Georgetown the river site was unusable. Fortunately, we had already been in talks with the aquatics people at A&M to use their facilities. They agreed to host us on extremely short notice and proved to be wonderful hosts. We ran in both the outdoor pool and the indoor instructional pool which we had to ourselves all day.

This year's event was marked by a number of firsts. Tom Kisler made his first sortie in his new Small World Models Kilo class boat seen above. We also welcomed Don Baker into the ranks of Qualified Sub Drivers as he got his first complete boat underway, a ThorDesign Sturgeon purchased off eBay. Don's nephew Kyle also took the helm of an r/c sub for the first time and did a wonderful job.

The next morning we spent several hours reviewing the Revell Gato kit and the various available aftermarket modifications. Gail displayed his D&E kit from Caswell which is very nicely done. We spent some time viewing the construction DVDs as well before hitting the road back to our respective home ports.

Though scheduling conflicts limited attendance to the die hard skippers, it was a very fun event and a satisfying day of running. Pictured are Jeff, Gail, Wayne, Tom, Paul, Kyle, and Don.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:41 pm

SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:28 pm

Awesome shots, Wayne!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:10 am

Sounds like I left town just before the rain hit. Bravo Zulu, Paul, for getting in at the A&M facility on such short notice. My hats off to ya!

My thoughts were with you guys over the weekend, but we were so busy doing fun stuff on our vacation I never had a chance to call in. Sorry! Looks like ya'all had a great time.

Maybe we should consider moving our home base to the A&M facility...we've had bad conditions two years in a row at San Gabriel Park...

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby PaulC » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:20 pm

Carl,

After going 3-2 over five years I have to agree with you. Granted, we dealt with the drought of the century and a 30 year flood but still, it's no fun being at the mercy of nature. As much as I love the park setting, and the river when it's good, I'm looking for something a little more reliable for future events.

The A&M facility worked out really well. The only problem is it isn't open on Sunday until noon (unless we pay for them to open up). It would be a great place if we could reserve the whole thing. All the other logisitical and support stuff is perfect.

Gail and I are looking at some Houston area locations as well. Pools, and reflecting ponds. And we'd be able to prepare more and worry less if it was in our hometown.

We'll see. In the meantime, keep building and we'll let you know.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:36 am

Home again jiggity jig...

Had a great time as usual and having a Plan B came in handy. Thanks for all the effort you guys put in to insure its success. A buncha swell joes...

TomK
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Two Cents

Postby BoomerFunker » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:01 am

I have to admit that I'm not fully behind all this talk of moving the SunNFun permanently to Texas A&E. Its not really any further for us to drive just a different angle off the bow as it were, but I gotta pool here.

There is nothing "immersive" (pardon) about the pool environment.
It stinks of chlorine, there are cement navigational hazards on every
point of the compass, and its just not relaxing like a real body of water.
I fully realize everyone would rather run on real water, and that
nature has not cooperated lately but my feeling is we shouldn't lock ourselves in to being the "Pool Toy Boys" :)

I'd still go though, even if we were having it in a stock tank!

TomK
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Tom,

I hear you! I was very excited about running on the river again this year -- in what looked to be the best condition ever. My personal preference is the park setting. It's so much more relaxing.

My take: we're 3-2 for using the river. And it's a real drag to have to scramble for an alternate site in the 11th hour. So, to put together a big event, if I'm the point man, I'm going to want a better shot at a successful, as-planned run. Don't know what that means at this point, that's just my heart at the end of five years.

For me, the pool was a nice change -- given the circumstances. But you're right. I've got one right here in Houston too. Presently, we're looking at Hermann Park in Houston as a possible venue. It has both a reflection pool and a lake. R/C sailboaters have used the pool for club regattas before. See the pics below taken by Wayne last weekend.

Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5