The bane of modelling. Getting the flood holes done.
The template :
Note on the plans. The point where the hull stern section joins the main hull. It made sense to start here and go forward. Right? Wrong.
Let me save you a few hours work. On round three of placing the holes on the hull, I realized even though the plans are scaled correctly, it is slightly off.
The best way to do this is to start at the front, and use the weld lines on the hull as stations compared to the plans. Your holes will end up in the right place. A minort adjustment was made two times. If you do this, and not try to figure it out by reading this, it will make sense.
In the end, my last pair of holes was just forward of the seperation line in the hull.
I did verify the plan size was correct.
Getting ready to go hogging. Use a drill first. Stepping up in sizes unitl close. Then dremel with these two bits. Finally, old fashion filing.
I did eat a hole too big. I will fix it later when I break out the evercoat to blend in the bow and stern and a couple of other fixes.
I will be adding the brass strip and straighten out the bow in the hull bottom later also.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes!!! Just try to learn from them. Fearless, (or dumb), I press on...
The mystery of the rectangles is solved. They are points in drydock for the boat to sit on. No, they are not visible. No need to scribe them. (Thanks Mike Keeton).
One more thing I found. Three of the lower main hull index tabs where dead square in the way of the holes. I got the entire dremel, and my hand, in that hull and removed them. Nice model. Lots of room.
The holes are now roughed in. .
Time to go inside and watch the superbowl.