Banner Ad 1

Sun N Fun 2006 action report

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Postby PaulC » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:59 am

Well, they say the devil is in the details and it proved true at Sun N Fun 2006.

In the past, we have faithfully checked the running site a week or two prior to the event. However, I failed to follow up on that this year. As a result, we got to the river on Friday afternoon and the water was so low, and so overgrown with algae, that it was unusable. We searched for an alternate site but as the Austin area is under drought conditions, all the other places we found were either too shallow, too brackish, or taken.

However, we did have a successful meet. We stayed put in the conference room at the Holiday Inn Express and worked on member's projects. Skippers ran the smaller boats in the swimming pool.

The time spent hanging out and discussing build techniques and electronics was wonderful. Plus, Don Baker and Gorden Gregson, two members who do not have running boats, made significant progress on their first projects. By all accounts they seemed fired up and ready to get their boats finished and in the water.

Turnout was good. We even recruited a new SC member: a fellow who had found us on the web and drove up from Houston to check us out!

All in all, it was not what we expected but proved to be an unusually beneficial weekend for the SubRon.

Edited By PaulC on 1156176208
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby tele52 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:41 pm

Paul,

I knew something must have happened to cancel the sub runs. I looked all over for a gathering at the San Gabriel River and couldn't find anyone with r/c gear. That was mid-afternoon on Saturday.

Did you happen to check out the new Lake Pflugerville? The water level was down due to the heat wave we have been experiencing, but it may have possibilities in the future. I believe the water is clearer than the San Gabriel River.

I have a 32nd Parallel Type VII U-Boat kit that has been "aged" sufficiently to be built. I was hoping to meet up with the sub group to exchange some building ideas.

Thank you....
tele52

Postby PaulC » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:58 am

Tele52,

I'm sorry we missed you! We had a sign out at the site explaining the situation and giving directions to the hotel. Several people found us that way.

You have a PM.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon5