Banner Ad 1

No Engineering "E" for me!

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Postby PaulC » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:28 pm

To all squadron CO's,

After a brief 6 month overhaul, I've finally gotten my WTC's ballast system repaired, leaks solved and wiring reconnected. Therefore, USS Thresher is once again operational...

Next step is to retrim Toledo and see what she can REALLY do! Looking forward to patrolling with you...
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Spettel » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:30 pm

Paul what kinda leak problems were you having?
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:55 am

So, Paul,
When are you and Gail coming up to the San Gabriel? I would love to see Gail's Alfa with the modifications done.
We had talked about a casual run soon before. How about it guys, next month or two?
Then we have another Fun Run about the same time as last year. If you can talk Gail into coming,post it. Maybe a few other Sub Ron 5 guys can show if they knew which weekend.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:36 am

Tom,

My original problem was that the rod that the gas saver float pivots on broke off the vent/blow mechanism. I had to take the aft ballast tank bulkhead and propel tank out to fix it.

During disassembly I failed to have the vent valve lowered completely and nicked the cast round valve seat in the top of the tank. This caused the vent valve to leak after reassembly. I removed and repaired the vent valve seat in the top of the MBT to get the valve to hold air in the tank.

Also, the tube connecting the two dry compartments leaked. A new o-ring fixed that problem (I had to re-run the wiring that passes through the tube between the forward and aft dry spaces).

All this was learned/accomplished via three assembly/tear downs of the ballast tank components . The good news is I am pretty knowledgable about the system. Bad news is it took me a couple months to get around to it!

Finally, during operations the seam around the cast plugs in the aft bulkhead seemed to have opened allowing a slow leak. I was noticing about a teaspoon of water in the WTC after each run. I fixed that with silicone.

Wayne,

I'd love to plan something in early April. I'll check with Gail. I talked to Jeff P. last night and he mentioned he is talking to a guy in Texas who is interested in his Gato hull. Hopefully we can get him onboard with us too.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Spettel » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:46 am

Paul I had the same problem with the gas saver. the vent seat
i also did the same as you so i made one out of brass. i also had to turn a new drive shaft (the one that goes through the
seal) it was way out and wallerd the seal out badley. i still get some leakege around the blow vent seal. most of the leaks have been fixed with some parker silicone grease that stuff is great
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Return to SubRon5