Banner Ad 1

U534 and Resurgam at Birkenhead

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Postby Davy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:53 am

Thanks Rich and Andy for all the information,

The model at Gosport was built by Bowers (The books author). (I've seen a mention somewhere. ) I will have a close look at the model when we are at Gosport with the AMS (16/17 Aug).

The interesting thing with Resurgam is that the hydroplanes are fitted dead centre. Garrett must have dived the sub on a completely even keel - unlike the Holland, which tilted. I think you are right Andy that the moving weight idea would be needed (linked to a level controller??) to get stability.

Thanks Rich for your recollections of Bernie. He sounds like an exceptional character and it will be much easier to imagine him when his name comes up again.

David
Davy

Postby U-33 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:42 am

David, is that another AMS meet at the sub museum? I have happy memories of the first one we did, I take it that's a weekend date, must get me a calender!
If it is, I may very well come along, be nice to put faces to names again after all these years.

Rich
Secretary/Webmaster: The Association of Model Submariners

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com
U-33

Postby Davy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 am

Hi Rick,

See you there 10 to 5 pm on either day. Email me if you would like any further info.

David
Davy

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:10 am

Davy wrote: I think you are right Andy that the moving weight idea would be needed (linked to a level controller??) to get stability.

David

I don't think fitting the weight to a leveller would work out so well. Perhaps if the software was modified to include some hysteresis to dampen the response a little?

I think the Resurgam would just have to be a model that dribbles around the lake in a sedate fashion. I can't imagine the 1:1 version was any kind of hotrod of the high seas either.

With a decent metacentric height, and a low speed, static forces should keep the boat stable underwater.

The other option is to cheat, and make a tilting prop. :wink:
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi Andy,

I have seen the speed of the full size Resurgam quoted somewhere and it was literally pedestrian i.e 4 mph or less.

I have recently got the sliding weight idea (manually driven by servo) working better on the Holland and I have got more experience with it. Yes I think manual control would be fine.

One point that should have been obvious straight away but wasn't is that the shifting weight has hardly any effect on angle when surfaced but is very significant when awash or submerged. The metacentric height is lowered in the latter case, I assume.

I have just received my copy of the "The Garrett Enigma" and it will be intersting to see if it sheds any light on the diving method. I suspect that the Resurgam was designed to dive on an even keel and so may not need systems to produce a tilt so that, as you say, designing it just with a good metacentric height should be enough.

David
Davy

Postby Davy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:00 am

Just started in the book - which is very good, thanks for the suggestion.
First surprise is that the Resurgam (unlike the earlier Egg) had no ballast tank.
A dynamic diver! I wonder if it ever actually dived? Read on..........

David
Davy

Previous

Return to SubCommittee GB