Banner Ad 1

Glass fibre and paint supplies

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Glass fibre and paint supplies

Postby Davy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:54 am

Spring and the smell of polyester resin is in the air!

Just a word to say that if you are doing some small glass fibre jobs (I'm remaking some superstructure - Thanks for the advice Andy) then Halfords are useful to visit.

Obviously not the cheapest but a (usually) local UK supplier for resin and glass.
I'm also using their acrylic paints (The plastic filler primer is working well so far :o )

No I don't hold any shares!

Davy
Davy

Postby Sub culture » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:42 pm

Did you get those sheets I sent out?

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:34 am

Hi Andy,

Yes thanks - emails seem to be getting worse!

Latest handiwork in early morning Cumbrian sunshine.
From left. Female mould, two Charlie II fins, Original R7 conning tower(weight 35 g), redone using your epoxy sheet (weight 20g)

David
Davy

Postby Sub culture » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:50 am

Your email got caught in the BT spam filter- some posts do that from time to time.

15 gram weight saving eh? Bonus, mind you, does that include the brass handrails and rungs?

All the same, you'll not make the structure thinner than with that material, at least not without sacrificing durability.

Good to see the sheet went to good use.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:09 am

No that weight saving does not include the brass bits.

To be honest the weight saving is not the important thing but the durability is. The epoxy sheet looks to be much stronger and will better survive all those contacts with targets!

The polystyrene sheet on the original is cracking , particularly where it has been bent.

Davy
PS while on the subject of materials.I'm finding that PVC and polycarbonate are good materials for rudders etc You can bend PVC after moderate heating.
Davy

Return to SubCommittee GB