Banner Ad 1

First UK Sub Regatta - Proposal............

The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Postby Sub culture » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:01 am

Without wishing to sound churlish, I prefer to keep the waters clear of targets.

This is a sub regatta. I'm sure we can find a spare sub for your girlfriend to navigate.

I find surface boats tend to chop up the water a lot, and that spoils our fun by affecting water refraction.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Paul von Braun » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:02 am

Okay, dry dock it is - good enough reason. Sounds like the wolf pack tactics might be too much! She can always use my sub.

Paul. :)
Website detailing OTW Designs Type VIIc build: http://www.u96.freewebspace.com
Paul von Braun

Postby Himszy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:57 pm

Andy am I right in thinking that subs on aircraft frequences won't be allowed to run?

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:13 pm

Er, yes. It's illegal!

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Paul von Braun » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:49 pm

Michael,
you need to be on either of the bands for surface vehicles. That is to say either 27mhz or 40mhz. 35mhz is for aircraft.
Besides being illegal, its also dangerous - can you imagine if a model aircraft crashed due to interference from somewhere?
Or rather, it's illegal because its dangerous.
If you need to buy a new radio system, get 40mhz because 27 mhz is also used by radio hams/cb radio and you will be more likely to get interference yourself via that route!

Paul.
Paul von Braun

Postby Himszy » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks Paul, I just thought that if we were going to have a problem with sailing time then we could go over to 'the dark side'. Not knowing much about the area, as it's in London, I can't imagine there's much space to fly an aircraft. But just wanted to check with Andy first.

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:25 am

If I discover anyone operating on the 35mhz band, they'll see my 'dark side' I can assure you.

Totally irresponsible, and there's no excuse these days with RC equipment being dirt cheap.

A 40mhz set is a far better option than 27mhz for all the reasons Paul mentioned. It's also FM based as opposed to AM (although there are a couple of 40mhz AM sets to be found- avoid like the plague) which makes it less prone to interference- all the better for our hobby.

I live in London, and fly model aircraft all the time- it isn't a concrete jungle, plenty of small fields dotted about.

I only fly small foam based models- these won't do much harm if they come down in someones petunias!

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Paul von Braun » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:27 am

Andy,
where do you go flying round your neck of the woods? My Dad used to take me over to Northwick Park when we lived in Wembley. It's difficult to find anywhere in Bournemouth area, so I never got round to learning to fly - some farmer would always come round giving it loads about 'were within x miles of hurn airport' etc. And then there were difficulties with the club the old man joined - a closed shop as opposed to the band of lads that we used to know in middx. That spelled the death knell of things with wings, but that's how I got into subs!
I remember BARCS having their nationals at the school I went to in Dorset - soon banned by the geriatric council. Fun is officially banned by council by-law in Dorset! Is that the job of councils? To find out what people like doing and then ban it?
I bet you fly somewhere in the region of Enfield chase - very close to your proposed venue. Nice & green. :)

I shall get off my soap box now, this is tremendous fun - we really have a good thread going here.

Paul.

Michael,
yeah, what Andy said:- rc equipment dirt cheap these days. I remember our first radio set, a 6 channel sanwa set cost £105 in about 1981 - my robbe futaba f14 cost about £130 in 2004. Not bad eh!
Paul von Braun

Postby Himszy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:40 am

Yeah I know, just havn't got around to it yet. Paul could you do me a favour? Please change your posting colour? It's giving me a headache :) .
Thanks
Michael
Himszy

Postby Paul von Braun » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:09 am

Michael,
done! In the mean time I prescibe one gram of paracetamol. That cures most headaches! lol :D

Paul.
Paul von Braun

Postby Himszy » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:28 am

Thanks Paul, that's much better, my headache has vanished. Andy, no word yet about the cost to hire it I take it?

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:04 pm

No, although Emma has read my emails, so I should hear something soon.

Paul,

I can fly in any small sports field. Although I tend to fly in a small playing field in Finchley, near my parents house. It's deserted all the time, and as I bother noone (electric), noone bothers me!

My experience with flying clubs was poor. Basically they weren't willing to train me, and I couldn't fly there as a novice. As you say 'closed shop'.

So.....I downloaded FMS simulator for free, trained on that and went solo- no problem.

I recommend the Foamfly Frog as a starter plane. Mine cost about £10 to build (£2 for airframe, £8 for the motor). It flys great, and is almost indestructible.

If you want to know more please PM or email me- don't want the thread drifting (too far) off topic.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Paul von Braun » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:30 pm

Andy,
how very similar our circumstances are! I think I shall wait for our inevitable meeting in the university grounds next year (for flying conversation), but in the mean time do check out Northwick Park if you get the chance - v. nice & tranquil + other flyers too.

Paul :D
Paul von Braun

Postby Sub culture » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:58 am

UPDATE:

I have received an email from Emma Spray this morning.

The quotes for the pool hire are as follows-

Pool Hire £42 per hour
Lifeguards £12.50 per hour

All plus the dreaded VAT.

Emma also specified that we will require two lifeguards. What wasn't clear was if the £12.50 per hour was for the pair, or EACH!

However, best case scenario for an 8 hour hire is £512.30, and worst case £629.80.

I think this too much. At best I'd expect no more than 40 paying submariners, most likely less, so even assuming they'd all be willing to cough up £10 each, we'd run at a loss.

Perhaps with some good raffle prizes, we could sell, say, £5 of tickets to each person attending. We could also allow spectators and levy a charge of perhaps £2 per head.

But it's all running it very near the mark.

So, I've requested if there is any chance of a discount, plus waving of VAT (aren't we classed as a charity?).

Keep you all posted when I have further news.

Opinions please.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:00 pm

Andy,

What about:

Competitions, like they do in the US version with an entry fee.

Rent-a-sub, whereby people who have never sailed one before hire one for the day, (and pay for any damages). Might be hard to get enough subs though.

For Sale section where people can bring along things they want to sell. Then have some sort of listing fee like eBay.

Auction, using items donated from people and companie, proceeds go to towards paying for it.

And a section of the ground where companies like North sea fleet, pandan, otw etc, can setup shop and once they pay a certain fee, they can advertise for free.

Just some ideas

Michael
Himszy

PreviousNext

Return to SubCommittee GB