Banner Ad 1

Regatta Participation - participation

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Postby Wilsonsubs » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:35 pm

Hello All,
This is Michael Wilson from Jacksonville Florida. Last year I helped the North Florida ORCAS put on their annual regatta in the Jax area. Alot of you attended and I hope had a good time. The pond we where using was great for boats but a little murky for submarines. I did lose my sub for a couple hours but did retrieve it by powering it to the surface. Lesson learned. We need to have water that is clear enough to see down to at least 6 foot or more. I think most of you would agree.
Sometime before the end of this year I would like to see the Subcom DeepSouth get together for a sub sail or whatever you want to call it. Regatta seems to apply to a larger event. Either way I'd like to know how many of us would be willing to start something like the first annual southern SUBRUN maybe in October or November? Lets say somewhere centrally located so no one person has to drive 1000 miles to attend.

My email is wilsonsubs@comcast.net

Let me know how you fell about it.
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby spongjim » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:18 pm

Hello Michael, How have you been ? The Jacksonville Regatta was alot of fun ,I for one had a great time. I have a spot depending on how far everyone wants to drive.Water is about seven to eight foot and usually clear to the bottom ,there is even a bridge going over the water so you can run your sub from the bridge,and has a easy spot to put the subs in at for the really heavy subs. There is plenty of parking and the park staff would welcome us to run there.If you are interested let me know and I will send you any info you need.I have alot of pictures I took there and a few videos of the u boats running there.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:19 pm

Hello Mike,

i would love that idea.
you did a great job last year in organizing the regatta and i know you made a lot of hotdogs. :p

as for an anual or (more often) subrun i think jacksonville or a little more north would be great.
considering the affiliated states with the subcomm deepsouth, anywhere along the georgia/ florida line would be a good place.
i personally would prefer kingsland, because of the nice area and good location.. easy to reach via I95 from south FL / GA or SC. and Kingsbay is the submarine Base. there are campgrounds close by as well as motels. also st mary's with it's historic district and cumberland island is worth a trip .

the biggest problem would be to find a lake or pool big enough and clear...

lets see, if we can come up with something

stefan
dieselsubmariner@yahoo.com
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby g2tiger » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:47 am

Jim,

Can you post some info on your location and perhaps some pictures of the park? I remember seeing some of your shots of your boats and I believe the water andpark might be worht serioux consideration.

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby spongjim » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:00 pm

I will go tomorrow and take some pictures of the 47s and surface ships at the park .I will try to contact Tim and get him to help me with posting the pictures here.The park is Tannehill state park and I run subs there all the time during the spring and summer.There is a camp ground there for those with campers can stay for the weekend. The pictures I sent you Charlie where all taken there, I have sat the seawolf on the bottom there in about eight foot of water and have had bass chase the Lafayette up and down the banks.During the summer the water is real clear and there is enough room for the biggest of subs.

Jim H
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:14 pm

hello Jim,

tannehill state park.... that is south of birmingham alabama.. is that right?

that is about 595 mls from southeast GA and 8 hours drive....
480mls from savannah
520mls from Jax

the park sounds great but i don't think i would be able to go there..it is to far for me (my Wife) to drive... but that is just me.

what are the chances of finding something closer.. say within a 200mls range of everyone here in the south?

stefan

wolfsong

Postby wolfsong » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:34 pm

Hi Guys,

i found out today, that there is a nice clear lake in kingsland (warren told me) that is supposed to be good for subs.
i will try this week to get some more infos and possible photos and check it out.

i will let you guys know about it

stefan

wolfsong

Postby Carcharadon » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:43 am

Stefan, sounds good. Let us know!
Carcharadon

Postby Wilsonsubs » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:31 am

Hello to all,
I love to see everone coming together with a like-minded goal. I would like to take a quick head count of those in our DeepSouth area so I might personally get to know everyone.
Have we heard from everyone in this post or are their more SUBCOM members that are yet to respond? Please forgive my clumsiness with this matter.

My thought:
I want to look at geographic locations for a central area to met. My idea is to find a place that meets our criteria for the submarines but also keeps travel time to a "day trip" for all who wish to participate.
Please take into consideration that our club includes several states and we should continue to encourage hobbyists in this SUB-group to attend whenever possible.
I think we can all agree to this basic concept.

An Idea:
We could take turns "hosting" an activity in our particular area if the group decides on this. Warning it can be alot of work and like any good host it requires time and effort to make these preparations. Think of it like throwing a party at your house (can be made easier by asking for attendies to bring something in the spirit of good ole fashioned southern hositality) but located at your favorite pond/lake.
Again just a thought.

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks again
Michael
Michael Wilson
Wilsonsubs
SubCommittee Member

Postby g2tiger » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Guys,

Just looking at a map of the south east I would think Macon GA would be about central. The only problem is that the parks are unknown at this time as far as sailing models and the likes.

Is there anyone in that area we could contact that knows our needs? Someone in the committee?

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby wolfsong » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:00 pm

ok Guys,

here is , what i found and been told off:

1. lake in Kingsland across walmart. very easy to find, plenty of parking... i have to find out more on the weekend if interested. all i know so far is, that it is a clear lake(spring feed), normal banks around the lake, no dock, no shelter. kingsland is a great location with plenty to see.

2.Lake in Townsend: just one exit north of Darien is Townsend / eulonia. about 15 mls north of brunswick. right on I95. there is a big lake, crystal clear spring-water . the lake belongs to a campground. dock and shelter is available. so is camping. motels are not far away. also the darien outlet mall is close by.

i might be willing to drive up there if interested

let me know guys

regards

stefan

wolfsong

Postby wolfsong » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:13 pm

ok

found the info on the park in Townsend:
-------------------------------------------------
Lake Harmony Park and Campground Townsend

This park must be seen to appreciate its beauty. Although conveniently located just 6/10 of a mile off I-95, the park is quietly nestled within 60 wooded acres. Sites are located on an 18-acre spring-fed lake. This park offers 50 pull-thru, full-hookup sites and 20/30/50 amp receptacles. Cable TV is available for a fee. Tent camping is offered. Additional facilities include: flush toilets, hot showers, handicap restrooms, laundry, e-mail access, public phone, tables, fire rings, and traffic control gate. Propane, RV supplies, ice, bait, and tackle are available. Recreational amenities include: recreation hall, shuffleboard court, horseshoes, lake fishing (no license required), lake swimming with beach and floating swim dock, and row boat and pedal boat rentals. From I-95, take Exit 58 (Hwy. 57). Go west .6 mile. Entrance is on left.

Open all year. Eastern Time
----------------------------------------------------

sounds good... i might stop by and take pictures and get more info

stefan

wolfsong

Postby wolfsong » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:19 pm

Lake Harmony homepage with areal photo

lake harmony

wolfsong

Postby Carcharadon » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:54 am

Great work Stefan, I should be able to check it out this week end, take some pictures.

This thread is fine with me.

I know there are some clear water borrow pits around. When they built I-95 they used the sand from these pits to construct 95 to go through the marshy areas. Then these borrow pits fill up with ground/spring water. If nutrients are limited from getting in the water the algae growth is limited and the water stays fairly clear. There are lots of these pits along 95 but some (probably most) in private ownership.

Found it on Google Earth, probably about a 45 min drive for me, maybe a little longer?

Tom
Carcharadon

Return to SubComDeepSouth