Banner Ad 1

is this here still alive

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Postby wolfsong » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:15 am

well at least your sub fits in the truck bed. my sub..1/72 typhoon .. is a little big for my truck.. even though i got a f350 longbed.... might have to get me a trailer...
we could talk about a possible subregatta at the event in jax this october
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby dlittle » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:23 pm

Hey everyone!

I have wanted to build an RC Sub for years. I never knew the community was this big. Thank God for technology(seriously!). Wanted to make it to Carmel, but is wasn't meant to be - this year. I was hoping that building a non-RC model would satisfy, wound up buying the Wally-Mart Seawolf. Went thru a pile of alki's. I love playing with it. That did not quench my desire. Now I'm building my first: completely scratch and experimental
38x4.5 inch PVC, ends sealed with lexan (tested to 4 ft so far and tight as a drum!), building a floor to mount everything so it all slids in from the rear, going with 6v single screw, bow planes, and ballast. I have come up with a design that, when I add a camera, the view with show an over lay reflection of a compass, battery levels, AND- a six stage indicator of current depth using a hydrostatic sensor(my design). ITs adjustable so if your sub runs at 4 feet or 12 feet it can be calibratable(is that a word?). I'll hopefully have a site up soon to post my progress. Until then I'd be glad to share. No photos yet (where'd I put that camera???)

Anyway, I registered so I can participate in the forum chat on 2nd Fridays. Best to all.
dlittle

Postby spongjim » Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:43 am

Hello Dan and welcome to the group. Sounds like a interesting project keep us informed on your progress.

JIm
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby dlittle » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:27 pm

Here is a pic of my WTC/sub. The clear is lexan, the body Schd 40 PVC, both scrape found lying about. I think I have settled on molding plexiglass for the nose so I can light it up. I know that sounds complicated, but I'm a chemist so I'm used to messing with things in odd ways, plus I'm a glutten for punishment. Seal- drilled and tapped #6 assisted with Blue RTV. 4 feet deep=no leaks
:p
dlittle

Postby dlittle » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:43 pm

This is where I took 2 small pcs of 6160 AL stock, drilled and tapped, with SS all thread(to be cut in half), drill the hull and placed into position, and pasted in with Durham's rock hard water putty(kept all thread one peice for now to mount my fabbed long nuts inline). Bow planes with be mounted directly to the bolt(extended out) thus moving a little in and out when actuated, creates a lot of surface area to keep out the water, esp when lubed with vaseline. (suggestion from a mechanic friend at work-a recommended to substitute plumber's tape?? we'll see)

dlittle

Previous

Return to SubComDeepSouth