Banner Ad 1

Anyone out there? - looking for active Sub guys

South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida Local Chapter

Postby g2tiger » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:43 pm

Hey, guys! Anyone out there? The North Florida ORCAS model boat club is getting ready for a regatta. I'm the guy in charge and I'm calling it Fun Float '03. It is planned as a fun event with a sailing course, swap meet and disabled vessel rescue events for all models boat and sub. Details will be posted soon at www.nfloridaorcas.freeservers.com or contact me.

The regatta should be fun and any awards are simply for the fun of it. This is not a serious competition but one aimed to just showing up and sailing you model. I hope to have my Robbe U47 out and would like to have other sub guys show up. The event will be at Hanna park in Jacksonville, FL. OCt 11 2003 from about 9am to 4pm.

Let me know if your interested.

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:27 pm

Charlie, it sounds like fun. I attended the Fun Float at the Villages this past March. I brought my 7 ft. Nautilus to that event and while it was fun it was still a lot of work hauling the large boat around. So after that I decided to make a smaller four foot version. I'm working on it now and should have it done by October. I'm in Savannah so the trip to Jacksonville should be a lot easier. Keep us posted on developments. Do you have specific directions to the Park?

Tom
Carcharadon

Postby mspade » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:24 pm

Charlie,
Sounds like a fun event, Ill pass this along to our Sub Ron and our host club and see if we can drum up some intrest. We need to get our scattered masses together more often. Thanks for posting the invatation.

Matt Spade
mspade

Postby g2tiger » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:45 pm

Thanks for the responses guys!

I have put the link to the park/lake here. The shelters are not shown but are on the top of the page/lake and located at the end of the road where it almost touches the lake. Don't know how many tables are in each shelter though, possibly 4 to 6. So you may want to be ready to provide your own just in case it gets crowded.

Real nice launching areas, one is a sand and gravel boat launch for canoes and one area is a grass shore with a slight lip. the link shows a map of bike trails but also the lake. Use the "return to hanna park" link to go to the main page. There is information on accomodations at the park and a link to map it. cost to enter the park is $1.

Also as of last night the clubs are trying to cover all food and shelter costs. If the three clubs ORCAS, JSMS and Pirates Flag will cover the cost there will be no participant cost except to enter the park. This is pending as of 6-13-03. This will mean I will need some sort of rsvp.

http://www.coj.net/Departm....ils.htm

Keep me posted,

Charlie
g2tiger
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:37 am

Charlie, I've been working on the 4 ft. sub which is a version of the Jules Verne Nautilus. Previously I've made several 7 ft. versions and brought one to the fun float at the Villages in Florida. While the 7 ft. sub works great and is a lot of fun it's just too big to bring to events. I decided to make the 4 ft. version after attending the fun float in March. I call this sub a Jet Nautilus because it's powered by bilge pumps, the same principle as in a Jet ski or Jet boat. I've got a working prototype but still need some detail work on it. I was wondering if you had some information on the pond at Hanna Park? Do you have a rough idea of how deep the pond is, I would suspect probably shallow, and how large it is and if it is fresh or brackish water
Carcharadon

Postby duke » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:29 am

Hello out there,

I am just now trying out this message board. I have known about them but have never used anything more than e-mail.

Someone asked if anyone is out there. I am in New Orleans and I too wondered if anyone was out there in the Southern regions. I have been wondering also if there is anyone who is active in the sub hobby in the New Orleans area besides me.

I have finally started a scratch-built WTC and while I am very hopped up about the project, there is hardly anyone around with this kind of special interest to chat or consult with. So I hope to get into the conversations and perhaps attend one of the regattas soon. I have enjoyed R/C model boats for years but keep coming back to subs.

I built a sub many years ago ( about early '80s) that was something like the Krick but looked more like a generic guppy type. I got the idea from an English magazine. It worked ok but porpoised a lot while I would try to surface. I recognized that it was difficult to keep it level and I was over/under correcting. My next experiment was to try a lead pendulum in the rearward flood area to control the rear dive planes. The pendulum would sense the pitch of the boat and counter move the rear planes to correct. A simple mechanical feed-back system with a few adjustments in the linkage to tune it in. I built the pendulum into the boat but never tried it out because other things needed to be changed in the boat, (you know - family distractions and other boat projects, and other excuses). Has anyone ever tried a pendulum to keep a zero bubble?

I could talk your arms off, but better wait till I know how to use the nessage board.

Later Guys

Duke
aka Harold Rouchell
New Orleans, LA
duke

Postby Carcharadon » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:11 am

Posted in tv subs as well

Well I've been planning to take the 4 foot to the All-day Boating Extravaganza at Katherine Abbey Hanna Park in Jacksonville Florida, October 11. I have a working prototype that runs perfectly. I've had to cut off the front end twice and the back end three times but it finally works perfectly. There are about 10 variables you have to get right with this submarine. The speed has to be sufficient to push the submarine underwater to get the speed right you have to have the right size bilge pumps and a sufficient amount of battery power. You still want adequate running time, which is about 2hrs. After 1.5 hrs the sub will not submerge. This in turn affects the space inside the 4 foot submarine. In addition to this you also have to have the correct slope or ballast of the submarine. Any one of these adjustments would make the sub work less than favorable so it's taken me months to get everything worked out to where the submarine performs perfectly. There are no moving parts in this submarine yet it submerges at will, will rise to the surface at will, cannot be sunk and even turns underwater. If you lose sight of the submarine underwater just take your hands off the control and it will pop-up. Now I'm just working on some aesthetic details but the sub should be in perfect working order for October 11. The North Florida Orcas is cosponsoring this event. Their web site is

http://nfloridaorcas.freeservers.com/whats_new.html

pictures

http://home.comcast.net/~tyourk/test.html

(http://nfloridaorcas.freeservers.com/whats_new.html)

I should have some more pictures of the sub posted before October 11.

Edited By Carcharadon on 1064531355
Carcharadon

Return to SubComDeepSouth