Banner Ad 1

Thank you - for the magnificent award

Midwest US Local Chapter - Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Postby Art Broder » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:24 pm

I recently tried to post a sincere thank you to the members of SubRon6, who participated, but it didn't go through, so this is it. I really appreciate your efforts to get the Arthur S. Meyer Engineering Award made, and I will always display it with pride. I was honored to be the first recipient.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:52 pm

Congratulations. Who was Arthur S. Meyer?

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby ThorDesign » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Steve,

You must be kidding, right?

Matt
ThorDesign

Postby Jeffrey J » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:43 pm

hey Art, really enjoyed meeting you at the regatta. Also really liked the photo of you with your first sub back in the 60's,very cool. Sorry you lost that one in the river.... When the guys told me you were going to get the award, I thought wow, he's a perfect choice for this. Good luck , hope to see you in Carmel with the rest of the guys next year. Jeff Jones SC# 258
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Dolphin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:08 am

Serious as a heart attack Matt. No kidding if we are talking about a deceased person. Who was he? Was he the gentleman who made the tiny clock work torpedoes from Canada?

Steve Reichmuth

Edited By Dolphin on 1123859502
Dolphin

Postby Art Broder » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:28 am

I think you're getting confused, if you are thinking of the watch gear maker from Canada who made the electric torpedo jewels. That was Bill Huxhold.
Art "Chip" Meyer was an engineering guru who was always willing to help model sub builders with his lengthy explanations.
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:32 pm

"Serious as a heart attack Matt". Geeeeze....a bad selection in hindsight. No disrespect. I called my friend Dave Merriman today, and he filled me in. Art Meyer inspired Dave in 1963 to build subs. Dave later joined the Navy and was part of the submarine service as we all well know. So Art Meyer can be said to have really changed the direction of Merriman's life, and many others. Nuff said. Excellent idea creating the Arthur S. Meyer Engineering Award. Except for a couple of friends...the only time anyone ever contacts me is when the need plans. Then poof...gone! I understand and appreciate more now. Thx.

Steve Reichmuth

Edited By Dolphin on 1123896880
Dolphin

Postby ThorDesign » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:54 pm

We all love you Steve! :D

By the way, I need to talk to you about a set of drawings that I spilled a quart of toluene on. Hoping you might still have a copy I sent you a couple of years ago...

Edited By ThorDesign on 1123948062
ThorDesign

Postby Dolphin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:25 pm

I think I know the ones you are refering to. Crisp clean copies here. Steve
Dolphin

Postby TMSmalley » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:01 pm

You are welcome Art. With your devlopment of the RCABS system, you certainly deserved it. I am sure Art Meyer would have approved of your being chosen for the first recipient...

To Steve and others who never had the privledge of meeting him - Art Meyer was a true pioneer in rc subs - right up there with "Brother Otto" that Dave Merriman talks about.

Art was building working RC subs back in the late 1950s with radios he made himself. He helped many guys get into RC subs and made many suggestions that helped us with problems we were having with our boats. He attended many SubRegattas right from the beginning and always showed up (in his old beatup camper) to SubRon 6 fun runs.

He was a genius with many of the "quirks" that geneii are sometimes blessed with - and always had something humorous to say or some comment that always got us laughing.

Art's daughter Beth made a special trip to Indiana to help present the award to Dr. Broder.

I hope you can take a couple of minutes to read the "Virtural Wake" we had for him on this message board back in Febraury when he passed and learn about this guy with a "beautiful mind".

Art Meyer Virtual Wake on the SC message board

Edited By TMSmalley on 1124071774
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon6