Banner Ad 1

New guy with questions

Midwest US Local Chapter - Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Postby jleising » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:24 am

Hello,

I'm glad I found this site. I just wish I would have found it a little sooner. The subregatta was just a few miles away in Carmel, and I didn't find out about it until the the first week of August. :(

When is the next fun run scheduled?

Does anyone have any comments pro or con about the Dumas Bluefish? I think that will probably be my first boat. Is there enough room inside to add ballast tanks?

Thanks
Joe
jleising

Postby tsenecal » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:48 pm

I know this is going to sound ugly, but I would save my money, I have heard nothing good about the Dumas Bluefish, and very little positive about the Dumas Akula. Most people have spent more time and money getting the things to stop leaking, dive correctly, etc. Most of the members here seem to think the Dave Manley (small world) models (blueback etc) are much better first time submarines. check him out at http://www.geocities.com/smallworldmodels/ he is much more expensive, but i think you would be happier with one of his subs as a first model than the bluefish.

Tim
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby jleising » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:03 am

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. Ugly was what I was looking for. I asked the question looking for an honest answer either pro or con. I don't have one so I don't have any bias toward it. I did have the feeling that there were probably gonna be some quality issues with a "mass produced" boat. The main reason I considered the Dumas boat was a co-worker can get employee discounts from Tower Hobby through his f-i-l on stuff.

Keep the opinions and experience coming guys. The more info you can give me the more likely I am to become the enemy below

Joe
jleising

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:35 am

Hi Joe -
Sorry you missed the SubRegatta. We had a great time.

If you want to be on the email list for the SubRon6 (midwest Chapter of the SubCommittee) FLASH TRAFFICS (announcements, etc) send me your email address. We may have a fun run sometime in September.

Best regards,
Tim Smalley
tmsmalley @ yahoo.com
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubRon6